MOROCCAN BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW
- Total Recipe Time: HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 9 hours
- Makes 6 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup regular or golden raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- Hot cooked couscous
- Chopped toasted almonds (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add beef, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Season with salt, as desired.
- Serve over couscous. Garnish with almonds and parsley, if desired
Nutrition information per serving:
300 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 811 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 3.8 g fiber; 26 g protein; 3.6 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 17.8 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitaminB6, vitaminB12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and niacin.